- 1 1/2 cup uncooked chickpeas (canned works, drained)
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup onion
- 2 cups whole Cauliflower/Broccoli combo (feel free to just use one or the other)
- 1 jalapeno (de- seed if you don’t want spicy)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp coconut flour or gluten free flour of choice
- sea salt/black pepper to taste
- 2-4 tbsp oil (avocado works great for frying)
- Additional salsa/dips/hummus to serve with (optional)
- First drain your chickpeas and rinse. Set aside.
- Next grind your broccoli/cauliflower so that it is “riced.” See picture above. Makes about 1 cup riced after placed in food processor.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse about 5x everything is mixed but not pureed. Do not over pulse.You want it thick and chunky.
- Next empty mix into a bowl and form into golf size balls (bites).
- Place these vegan falafel balls/bites on a cookie sheet then in fridge for 1 hr or freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Once set, remove from fridge.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with a few tbsps of oil.
- Place half the vegan falafel bites in the pan and fry on medium high, turning gently, for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add more oil and repeat for the second batch.
- Place all on paper towel and blot off extra oil if desired.
- Season with more salt/pepper if desired.
- Serve right away or freeze for later.
- Great with a salsa, hummus, red pepper dip, etc. Pair with a Mexican corn salad or side of choice.
From Cotter Crunch