- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 120g plain (all purpose) flour
- 200ml (3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) milk
- 150g (1½ cups) mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 200g (about 1 cup) shredded ham hock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 100g (2 cups) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- Chopped chives for garnish
Honey Mustard Mayo:
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 10 chopped chives
- Melt the butter in a medium pan, add the onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onion softens. Add half the flour and stir using wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Very gradually, pour in the milk whilst stirring with a whisk, until all of the milk is incorporated with no lumps. It should be a thick, paste-like mixture.
- Stir in the cheddar and ham hock. Turn off the heat.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl, and cover with cling film. Place in the fridge to firm up and chill for at least 90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Add the eggs to a wide bowl and whisk lightly. Add the remaining flour along with the salt and pepper to another bowl. Mix together. Add the panko breadcrumbs to a third bowl. Stir in the paprika, then drizzle over the oil. Mix together using a fork until all of the breadcrumbs are lightly coated in oil.
- Take the ham mixture out of the fridge. Scoop out a heaped tbsp and place in your hand. Roll into the shape of a small thick sausage. Roll in the flour, then the egg (make sure it’s covered in egg), then finally roll in the panko breadcrumbs. Place on the tray and repeat with the rest of the mixture. You should get 16-18 croquettes.
- Place in the oven to cook for 8-11 minutes – until the coating is lightly golden, and the filling is just starting to ooze out of a few of the croquettes. Take out of the oven and leave to cool and firm up for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Whilst the croquettes are cooling, whisk together the honey mustard mayo ingredients and pour into a small dish.
- Place the croquettes on a serving plate and scatter with chopped chives. Serve with the honey mustard mayo.
From Kitchen Sanctuary