- Note: Make the flax eggs first so they have time to thicken.
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed + 3 tablespoons of water
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 and ½ cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of whole oats
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground sea salt
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of raw or regular white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Additional ingredients:
- ¼ cup of water plus 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 cup of walnut pieces (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper so the cookies don’t stick and for easier cleanup.
- Whisk the flax seed and water together with a fork and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, oats, baking soda, and sea salt together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla together with a paddle on medium speed until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and beat on a slow speed. Add the water and beat until the dough is thick and sticks together well. Fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts until evenly distributed.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Separate each cookie an inch apart. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until the cookies just begin to brown. Don’t overbake or you’ll get a hard cookie.
- Cool on the baking sheet for five minutes and transfer the cookies to a cooking rack until the bottoms are completely cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for sixty days.